Welcome to Karla's Adventurous Blog

Xochicalco Ruins in Cuernavaca
                I am from Baja, Mexico.  I am the oldest of three siblings.  I enjoy to travel, especially within Mexico.  I moved to the San Diego in 1998, when I was 10 years old.  I attended the Kindergarten located in our small town of Valle de las Palmas, Tecate, cannot recall the name of it.  I attended Juan Dominguez Freire, located in the same town, from first to third grade.  After that, I moved to Ensenada, Baja.  I attended Alberto Correa for my fourth elementary school year.  And finally, I moved to San Diego and attended Mason Elementary for the fifth grade.   For middle school, I attended Wangenheim Middle School from sixth to eighth grade. From ninth to twelfth grade I attended Mira Mesa High and graduated in 2006.  Right after graduation, I began to take college courses at Miramar, Mesa, and City community colleges.  After attending the San Diego Community College District for five years I finally transferred to California State University of San Marcos this fall of 2011, and for that I am very excited.
 Cacahuamilpa Caves, Guerrero
                I am not a technology person.  I like things nice and simple…I am very old school.  My highest technological achievement has been to have an Android phone, which capabilities I have not been able to fully explore because I am scared I might break it.  And used Skype, feeling mortified of pressing the wrong button.  For the most, part I do enjoy the many wonderful positive outcomes of technology, such as being able to talk to my cousin in Israel, through Skype, and seeing her face and her smile live, and for free, was an amazing feeling.  I do not like the inappropriate information that can be exposed to children, or teens, that gives them a misconception about live.  I also do not like how technology can cause a lack of physical contact and physical activities in children and their families.   A balance is good in all lifestyles.
The part of the CSUSM/COE Mission Statement that speaks to me the most is “our practices demonstrate a commitment to student-centered education…” I believe that each and every single child is a unique and special creation, just like we, adults, are.  Not all of us can do well in the same exact thing.  Some of us are better in some things than others.  And as teachers, I believe that that is mostly what our job is about; acknowledging that special gift each child has and make him/her feel good about it.  I was not aware of our school’s mission statement, but know that I am I feel even more proud of attending this university. 

Comments

  1. I'm glad that's all written in the darker font up top, because it's super hard to read on the bottom. The white is barely a shade darker than the background. You should make it a plain black or grey to see it easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your simple design, its very asthetically pleasing, at least to me. I think its really cool that you grew up in Baja California and are now here. Where do you like living better if you don't mind my question?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank you, Miss Cruz. That's very nice of you. I have never done this before so I did my best. I liked living in Ensenada better. The weather is so nice, and I love the beach. And most of my family is there. Can't wait to retire so I can go back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about acknowledging each child's special gift. I think teachers sometimes become so focused on their requirement to teach the material that they often forget this.

    Where were your pictures taken? They both look like interesting places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I notice that you traveled back and forth a lot as a younger child. I also had the same experience. My dad was in the Navy so I have been to four or five different elementary and middle schools. How did you do moving around a lot? Especially since you were moving back and forth to different cultures...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Karla =)
    First of all i want to let you know that i love your pictures. I hope some day i get to know all the states of Mexico. I had heard about the beautiful beaches of Ensenada.. Same as you i'm not a technological person.. see ya next class...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skype is amazing for contacting people that live abroad. I was so glad that I had it to keep in contact with my family when I was living in Scotland. Also, one of my sister's friends got married in Northern California and was able to live stream his wedding to his family in Chile! When used for the right reasons, technology can be amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journal 7: My PLN

Journal 8: Adaptive Technology